Children of Men looks at the issue of how society defines responsibility, freedom and a sense of values when many people don’t believe humans will survive as a species. When there is no future generation, and the obsession is with the young, how does that affect a society?
I hope you are reading your study guide and preparing to write an essay on the film.
Here are a few topics to try:
1. Analyse visual / oral techniques used to establish a strong first impression of character(s) OR setting OR purpose AND how this ﬁrst impression was important to the text as a whole.
2. Analyse oral / visual techniques used to show changes in a main character or individual in a text you have studied AND why these changes were important to the text as a whole.
3. Describe a section / scene / episode with a strong sense of mood or suspense or atmosphere AND analyse production methods used to create this mood or suspense or atmosphere.
4. Identify what you consider to be the director’s main purpose AND explore, in depth, one or two main visual / oral techniques used to achieve this purpose.
5. Outline some potential limitations of the genre / form / type of text you studied AND how your text overcame these.